Want to be a Contributor?

WANT TO BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO GOURMET DIY SHANGHAI?
Send an email to Heather at gourmetdiyshanghai@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to be a coauthor.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Marinara Sauce

This is an inexpensive sauce to make here in China and it is so much fresher and better than anything you can get from a can. I usually have my darling ayi do the tedious part of cutting up the vegetables,  which means that it is hardly any trouble for me to make.
The recipe makes enough for my family of five to have for at least two, if not three nights for dinner. Usually I freeze at least part of it for a meal another time. I made this last night and we already had a fridge full of leftovers so I froze it all to have on hand the next time I want to make lasagna (And I think I might just have to use your ricotta recipe when I do make lasagna, Lauren!).


Ingredients
2 onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tbsp olive oil
4 lbs (2 kg) tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
2-2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil


In a large stockpot, add oilve oil,



garlic,


and onions.






Saute for five minutes until onions and garlic are tender.

Add tomatoes,

sugar,

salt,

and basil.


Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the sauce has reduced.


Take 1/2 to 2/3 (2-3 cups) of the sauce and process in a blender (if you like a really fine marinara sauce you can blend the whole thing- but I like to leave the sauce a little chunky)

Add the blended portion back into the pot. If the sauce is still a little too thin continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced to the consistency you like.


Serve over pasta or use in a recipe that calls for marinara sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Suggestions? Alterations?